Recipe by Hannah Brown
This is a quick and easy recipe with bold, intense flavor that makes a great addition to any meal.
The raw garlic and mass of hearty greens make me feel awake and alive, and the cashews comfort. There has even been evidence showing cashews help combat depression.
Morning toast and sliced avocado are perfect smaller dishes to slather with pesto. You could also make a creamy pasta version by adding vegan Tofutti, a cream-cheese substitute, or just smooth the pesto over pizza crust for a lively punch. These are just a few of the endless pesto possibilities.
In my recipe, I provide general guidelines for ratios. But it’s really up to you on whether to add more or less of any ingredient. The most important tip: Add more cashews if you want to offset the arugula’s bitterness. Oh, and the fresher the ingredients, the better the end product.
Experiment, have fun and let me know how you use it!
- 1 bag Arugula, washed
- 1.5—3 cups raw Cashews
- About 1.5 cups Olive Oil
- 1—5 Garlic cloves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Lemon for juice (optional)
1. Add garlic and cashews to food processor.
2. Put greens and olive oil on top.
3. Blend in food processor until these become paste. Don’t add whole bag of greens at once. Instead, fill processor, turn on, and repeat until whole bag of arugula is used.
4. Continually taste to make sure ingredients are evenly processed, and add more olive oil as needed for smoother blending.
5. Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.